Friday, September 10, 2010

Crockpot Corn Chowder

When I was a kid my Mom used to make corn chowder every once in a while.  Strangely, I loved it, I was an extrememly picky eater as a kid (wonder where Alex gets it), so something like chowder I wouldn't think would have been a favorite but it was.  Every now and again I decide to make it, but always on the stove top.  I came across this recipe on one of my favorite sites, http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ , and decided to try it.  I did make a couple of alterations, but think my version came out great.

Ingredients

1 medium onion diced
1 Tblspn. flour
4 cup frozen corn
1 tspn. Worcestershire sauce
1 can cream of celery soup
1 cup chicken stock
2 large potatoes cubed
1 cup cream
salt & peper
other herbs to your liking
7 strips cooked bacon crumbled

Saute onion in oil or bacon grease and once translucent add flour to make a roux.  Cook for about five minutes and add to crock pot.  Add all other ingreients except cream and slat & pepper.  Cook for minimum 8 hours on low.  Add cream and salt & pepper, turn off and let stand for 30 minutes.  I served it with a loaf of crusty french bread.  It was great and extremely filling.  Enjoy!

No comments: