Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Alex's 1st Day of School!!!!!

With his snack packed, backpack stuffed with school supplies and dressed in his school uniform Alex was ready for his first day. Dad gave him a hug and we were off on our way. During the walk I reassured him everything would be okay and he was pretty excited. Once in the school yard I could see the "worried" look coming across his face. His teacher walked through all the Kindergarden families saying hello and answering uestions. She made a beeline for Alex when she saw him starting to get upset. Mrs. Alaimo was awesome, got right down on the ground with him and told him about all the great stuff they would be doing. Smiles came out and he seemed okay. That is until the school bell rang. He looked horrified. He lined up with his friends but then turned and asked me to go with him. My heart just broke. When I said I couldn't he started to cry and well I just about did too. Mrs. Alaimo took Alex and another little girl who was having a tough time to the front of the line and let them be the line leaders. They held the door for their new friends and disappeared with a wave inside the building. Needless to say it was a long walk back to the house for me and Rachel.

Eleven o'clock came pretty fast and I headed back to pick him up. All the nervous Kindgergarden parents huddled to one side waiting for their little ones. Alex was the first out the door. He scanned the crowd and when he saw me screamed my name and ran, arms wide open. I nearly got knocked over by the hug. Beaming from ear to ear he told me what a great day he had and couldn't wait to come back tomorrow. Whew! Follow that up with a phone call from Dad to see how his day went and it was off to the Y to pick up Ms. B.

Now I just need to sort out all the paperwork they sent home...more paperwork! I feel like I have homework!

No comments: