Sunday, October 10, 2010

Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup

I;ve been craving broccoli & cheese soup, specificly Panera's because their is the best.  I always try other places, and some are decent Fridays TBones, to name a couple of Panera's in by far the best.  At least to me it is.  But I don't go to Panera often, well, because it's in Andover and I don't go to Andover.  I came across this recipe on the web and decided to give it a shot.  It's good, needs to be a little thicker, and I think I pureed it a bit to much but it's pretty close to Panera, well maybe not, but it's not bad being that it was made at home and it made enough that I have lunch for a couple of days.

Ingredients:

1 T melted butter
medium onion diced
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups 1/2 & 1/2 (I used fat free)
2 cups chicken stock (fat free and I ended up using a bit more probably closer to 3 cups)
1/2 lb. fresh broccoli chopped
1 cup carrots julienned
1/2 t nutmeg
8 oz. grated cheddar cheese
salt & pepper to tasts

Directions:

Saute onion in 1 T butter, set aside.  Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for about 5 minutes.  Stir constantly add in the half and half.  Add the chicken stock and simmer to 20 minutes.  Add the broccoli, carrots and onion cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes.  Add salt and pepper.  Puree to desired texture.  Return to heat and add cheese, stir in nutmeg.  Turn off heat and let sit a bit stirring occasionally so cheese melts.

No comments: