Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Beef & Beer Stew

This recipe is amazing.  Seriously it's one of the best I've ever made.  It's not my recipe I stole it, well borrowed it, it's not like I'm claiming I came up with the idea so it's not really stealing.  We didn't even talk during dinner, there was just eating going on.  Well, I talked, I kept asking Allen if it was okay because he wasn't saying anything.  All I got back was a grunt.  Then when he was so stuffed he couldn't stand it he said that was awesome. 

Ingredients

5 lbs. beef brisket cut into 2 inch cubes
salt & pepper
1 stick of butter
4 lbs of onions slices
6 Tbl. flour
1 bottle of dark beer -I used Guiness
3 cups beef broth


Now to start this is an enormous amount of food, I cut the recipe completely it half but the above amounts are the originals. 

Preheat oven to 325.  Saeason brisket with salt & pepper.  In a large skillet melt 1 tspn butter and working in batches cook meat for about 8 minutes.  Transfer the meat to a large dutch oven or some sort of pot that can go in the oven.  Add more butter and start cooking all those onions.  Once those are done add them into the pot with the beef.  Add about 3 Tablespoons of butter to the skillet , melt then add the flour.  Let this cook for a few minutes until golden then whisk in the beer.  Follow that by the broth and bring to a boil whisking until smooth.  Pour the sauce over th beef & onions, put a cover on it and cook inthe oven for 2 hours.  Remove lid and cook for another 30 minutes, remove from oven let stand another 15-30 minutes and serve over mashed potatoes.

Seriously good food.

No comments: