Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Scones!







I don't bake. I know I've claimed that before, but really if you only do it a handful of times per year you're not really a baker. I've been wanting to make something with blueberries for a while. They're everywhere at the stores and really tasty. Plus add in that they are good for you and well why wouldn't you want to make something. I didn't want muffins, but wanted something I could grab then today I realized...scones! But I didn't want dry crumbly ones, I wanted moist yummy ones. And I found a recipe that claimed exactly that so I figured I'd give it a shot. Plus it's cold out so lets turn on that oven.

Ingredients

2 cups flour

3 tbls. sugar

1 tbls. baking powder

3/4 tsp. salt

6 tbls. butter, cold and cut into pieces

1 & 1/2 cups blueberries (I used 2 cups since that was the container)

1 tsp. lemon zest

1/3 cup heavy cream

2 large eggs

preheat oven to 400 degrees, grease cookie sheet. Sift together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until the largest piece is the size of a pea. Stir in blueberries & zest. Try not to crush the blueberries too much. In a separate bowl mix together 2 beaten eggs & cream. Make a well in the flour/blueberry mixture and add in cream/egg. Stir lightly with a fork until dough comes together. Dump onto a well floured surface and knead a few times to mix well. Pat dough into a 6 inch square and 1 & 1/4 inches thick. Cut into four 3" inch squares and then cut the squares again on the diagonal to form 8 triangles. Put on baking sheet, brush tops with a little more cream and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake approximately 25 minutes until golden. I tried one, it was yummy!

No comments: