Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I Tried to Kill Alex tonight.....according to him!

As you all know dinner in our house is usually not pleasant and sometime torturous. And that goes both ways. Between the kids whining and crying about what I make and us having to listen to them I'm sure we are both miserable. Tonight was particularly bad.

I made your all American dinner, shake n bake pork chops, applesauce, peas and Parmesan noodles. Nothing gourmet by any means but a decent home cooked meal. It's good for you. With a glass of milk we have all the food groups accounted for. I know as a kid I loved Shake n Bake. One of my favorites. No reason why the kids shouldn't like it, right?

So I make dinner while they are in mourning over the loss of their beloved Mary Poppins tape. I didn't tell them what I was making since I didn't want to listen to them complain (By them I mean Alex). I make up their plates and call them to dinner. Rachel takes her seat and says hmm... this looks good. Ooh applesauce. Alex is immediately horrified. I don't eat that, he says pointing to the pork chops. You don't or won't, there's a big difference. I mean are you a 6 year old vegetarian or just giving me a hard time? I tell them how wonderful the pork chop is dipped in the applesauce. Rachel loves the idea, she's a big fan of dipping anything. Alex not so pleased, why would you mess up perfectly good applesauce with yucky pork chop. So dinner commences.

After 10 minutes no bites of pork chops have been taken on either side of the table, though Rachel keeps professing her love of them. I insist that the next bite they both take must be of pork chop. No problem, Rachel downs a bite, yum. Alex wants a new fork. Why you ask? So there is no gross pork chop residue on the fork he uses for the rest of his meal. Are you kidding me. I give in, here's a second fork. Take a bite, please. Finally he does, begins to fake gag, tried spitting it out, tears are flowing along with this is gross, so yucky, I can't believe you are making me eat this, are you trying to kill me. Are you kidding me? It's a pork chop! I hand him a glass of milk. Wash it down before you die.

So it continued, dinner took 45 minutes. Yes 5 bites of pork chop (he actually only ate 2 bites), a small pile of peas, applesauce, and noodles. In his defense he did eat everything else on his plate, where as Rachel ate 4 bites of pork chops, the applesauce and 1/2 the peas, no noddles, they were too spicy according to her. I believe the spice she is referring to is parsley.

I think I may give up and just feed them PB&J every night rather than endure this And I know that somewhere my mother is laughing!

No comments: