Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Demise of the VHS

We have several old movies on VHS, most of them classic Disney flicks like The Three Caballeros, Mary Poppins, The Rescuers Down Under etc. I bought the bulk of these way back before Allen and I were ever married, before DVDs became popular. Well wouldn't you know that most of these movies are the ones the kids, Alex in particular, love. Over time some have bit the dust, either worn out or eaten by a bad VCR. Today such an event happened.

I picked Alex up from the after school program at St. Monica's around 3:30 and headed home. I told them since homework was already done they could watch a movie and have a snack while I did some housework. Within minutes of settling down Alex appeared in the kitchen, Mary Poppins tape in hand, with a good foot of tape dangling out of it. I tried my best, got the tape back in, but it plays all jumbled now. After explaining to the kids that it looks like it's broken and couldn't be fixed tears sprung from Alex's eyes and Rachel insisted Daddy could fix it. Love those Daddy's girls!

Alex apparently has inherited the movie musical gene from Allen and Gail because he loves them. Bednobs and Broomsticks, Mary Poppins, old sing along movies etc. Whenever the Sounds of Music or Wizard of Oz are on we let him stay up late and watch part of it. Needless to say the Mary Poppins VHS biting the dust was very upsetting to him. Lucky for us all Amazon has them on DVD so we already ordered a new one. Throw in a cheap copy of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the kids going to be in heaven.

It makes up for the next post!

1 comment:

Jennifer & Robert Lawson said...

Oh man...Mary Poppins is my favorite. I have a copy here if there is ever a fiasco again.