Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Scary Movies

I don't like scary movies, plain and simple.  I don't feel the need to be startled by things jumping out, or wathcing blood, guts and gore.  If I want to watch a movie it's because I want to be entertained, and this genre just doesn't do it for me.  Not that I haven't seen my share of movies, I've watched all the Friday the 13th, Halloween, slasher movies.  Those were big when I was growing up and as a teenager that's what you watch even if you don't particularly enjoy it.  You won't catch me watching recent ones, no Saw, Hostel, The Faculty or whatever else is out there now.  It's not entertaining to me it's torture.  That said in honor of Halloween there are a few out there that have either scared the absolutely crap out of me to the point they have left a mark or for some bizarre reason I actually enjoy.

5. 

A Nightmare on Elm Street.  Came out in 1984, obviously I didn't see it in the movies I was only 12, but I saw it a few years later on cable, back in the day when we had Preview (not even HBO out in West Methuen).  This movie left it's mark on me.  I didn't sleep well for a few nights and every now and then it would creep back into my brain.  I mean come one, who wasn't freaked out by Freddy.

4.


Aliens.  Another great movie from the 80's, 1986 to be exact.  Another cable seen movie.  I can remember watching this at about 10 at night in the small den off the kitchen.  I was all alone in the house, my parents had gone up north.  Bad idea.  I was totally freaked out.  Now looking back I will watch this for entertainment, I mean come on Sigourney Weaver totally kicks ass in this movie. 

3.


I am Legend.  This is the latest movie to scare the crap out of me.  Why?  Because to me this could be a reality.  Maybe not the darkseeking man eating hybrid people, but the man made disease that wipes 99% of the population out.  Think about it. 


The Exorsist.  I've seen this movie once.  That was enough and I have absolutely no desire to ever watch it again.  Just the thought gives me shivers.

1.


Jaws.  I watched this, through hazy lines and interference at my aunt JoAnne's house when I was about 7.  I didn't swim in my pool that summer (never mind the ocean), convinced the shadows from the maple trees were a rogue shark behind me.   Now I have probably seen this movie 200 times since then.  I love it, I can recite it, because of it I learned to scuba dive.  I watch shark week fanaticly every year.  To me it is by far one of the best movies ever made, but that music still creeps me out.   

No comments: