Sunday, October 2, 2011

Frito Pie

I've been checking out Frito pie recipes for about a year.  For some reason they've peaked my interest but I never made it, then this week one of my favorite blogs had it as a feature, then I read Cooking Light and a version was in there, then it showed up on another blog.  This was a sure sign I needed to make it.

Ingredients:

1 lb. group beef
1 cup chopped onion
6 garlic cloves minced
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t ground red pepper
1/8 t salt
1 T tomato paste
1 cup FF low sodium Beef broth
1/2 cup water
1 can diced tomatoes w green chiles undrained
Fritos
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
green onion

So cook the ground beef, drain and then use same pan to saute onions.  Add in garlic cook about 1 minute then add beef back in.  Add in cumin, pepper & salt.  Stir in tomato paste cook 1 minute, stir occasionally.  Add broth, water & tomatoes, bring to boil then reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes or until slightly thick.  Serve over Fritos with other items as toppers.

This is the Cooking Light version, obviously the others are probably better tasting but also loaded with fat and calories.  Overall it was good, not anything I would rush to make again but once in a while it's an easy weeknight meal.  It couldn't have been that bad there were no leftovers.

No comments: