Friday, October 10, 2008

Crockpot Oatmeal

I work super early in the morning on Mondays (I am there by 6 am) so that I can leave at 1:45 pm and pick up Alex from school. Being that I get up before the birds I don't usually want to get up even earlier to make breakfast. I try and grab something to eat at my desk like a banana and yogurt. But lately I've been wanting more. A lot of other days during the week I have oatmeal. It's good for you and keeps you (well at least me) full until lunch. I found this recipe on the crock pot 365 blog and made it Sunday night to take for work for a couple of days. Now of course once it was done cooking I just had to try a small bowl while watching the Amazing Race. All I can say is WOW! I can't believe oatmeal cooked in a crock pot was this good. Actually I can't believe oatmeal could taste this good period. Do note that it was good the next day but not as good. So try this at home!

1 cup of oats
2 cups of milk (next time I will do 1/2 milk and 1/2 water)
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls vanilla extract (mine was super vanillay (is that a word) but I buy the pure vanilla and that's probably why so I might cut it down a little next time)
1 chopped up apple
pinch of salt

Put it all in the crock pot and stir. Cook on high for about 1 hour and 15 minutes stirring every once in a while. It was really good. Next time I am throwing in some raising and a pinch of cinnamon. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jennifer & Robert Lawson said...

Yum...oatmeal here we come. Now I just need a family to eat it with me.