Saturday, June 30, 2012

New England Food Truck Festival

On Saturday we attended the Food Truck Festival at Rockingham Park.  We had heard about it a few months back and decided we would like to go.  I consider myself a newbie foodie, and I love to try new things.  The kids were psyched by the idea since food trucks are all over Food Network and they had heard of Roxy's Grilled Cheese. 

We got there before they actually opened and roamed around to check out our choices.  There were about 20 food trucks there including lemonade and slush stands.  First up slush.  It was pretty hot even though it was only 11 am.  The kids shared a rainbow slush and gave it a thumbs up.  They said it was refreshing and I did try a small bite and will agree with them.  We headed over to Roxy's but the grill wasn't hot yet so we wandered on down the row and stopped at Grilled Cheese Nation. 

The kids each got 1/2 a Boston Common which is a basic grilled cheese.  Alex delared it a winner, Rachel not so much.  It had Vermont White Cheddar for cheese and she's more a presliced American kind of girl.  Allen had 1/2 a Boston Common with bacon and said it was the best grilled cheese he'd ever had.  I went for the Blue Man Goo, blue cheese, fig spread with walnuts on a raisin bread then grilled.  Oh man was that good.  Allen's not a blue cheese fan, though he did try a bite, so I had that baby all to myself.

Netx up we head to M & M BBQ which states they make the best ribs.  We split a BBQ Brisket sandwich and a 3 rib sampler.  The kids both like ribs and they were going to town on them.  honestly I'm surprised Allen and I were able to snag a bite.  The brisket sandwich was excellent.  Allen told the women at the food truck he loved her. 

Rachel chowing down on a rib.  I thought it was good but it was a dry rub and I like them slathered in BBQ sauce. 

The brisket was seriously good. 

Alex wearing the ribs all over his face.  Sign that he really liked them.

Next up we headed over to Bon Me, which a Vietnamese truck.  I like Vietnamese, at least the very limited amount of items I've ever had.  There aren't any options in the Merrimack Valley for Vietnamese at least not that I am aware of, wish there was.  If you know of any let me know. 

We got the soba noodle salad with bbq pork and sesame dressing.  This is a chilled salad, with carrots strips, fresh bean sprouts, cilantro, pickled red onions, some other leafy green lettuce type and the noodles & bbq pork.  I could eat a vegetarian version of this no problem.  Even Allen agreed.  He thought it was great and had never had Vietnamese food. 

We wandered by the FLour Girls truck and the kids each got 3 cider donut holes.  They were fresh out of the fryer and smelled phenomenal.  They each only ate one and saved the others for later at home.  I can say i sampled one at home with a glass of ice coffee and it was great.

We also stopped at All American Comfort Food, we all (except Rachel) split an apple crisp and the kids each got a rootbeer float.  By now we were feeling more than a little stuffed.  I was bummed because we hadn't eaten at Roxy's or tried any of the seafood trucks.  Cod Squad, Lobsta Love and Go Fish were all there.  Go Fish had a salmon cesar wrap on the menu that looked great.

We still had a fair amount of tickets left so we headed over to Kick Ass cupcaked and got 4 to go.




Upper Left-Alex's choice Cookie Dough Cupcake.
Upper Right-My choice Mojito
Bottom Right-Rachel's Double Chocolate or something like that
Bottom Left-Allen's choice Macchiato

We brought these home for later.  Being that we didn't actually eat at Roxy's I felt like we at least needed to take a picture.


While we were walking around we saw Nookie from Around the World in 80 Plates.  He was enjoying the festival with his family but was nice enough to chat with anyone who approached him. 

It was an awesome event, I just wish I could have eaten more.  I highly recommend going next time it's around, go in a group so you can each order something different and sample it.


No comments: